Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Poor Sweet Boy

Before we left for Chicago, Aaron was looking not well. I took him to the doctor and it turned out he had a minor ear infection. The doc put him on some antibiotics because we were going out of town and so it wouldn't get worse while aunts and uncles were caring for him. When we got back, he still had his runny nose, but he seemed good enough. Then, on Saturday, he slept until 10 am and when he finally awoke, he had some hives. I took him to an instacare where they told me it looks like he's allergic to penicillin. Yep, allergic to penicillin! And his ear infections had gotten worse. They gave us an different kind of antibiotic and we were on our way. His hives really flared up on Sunday and Monday so I took him back to the doctor and got a prescription to really get rid of them. The poor guy had pink splotches all over his body--his legs, tummy, back, arm and face. Today he's looking a lot better. The funny thing is he hasn't seemed really fussy about it. I guess that's not a funny thing, it's a good thing.

And then, this morning, when I got him out of his crib, his pj legs were all wet. I couldn't understand how his diaper could have leaked so much that his little footsies were soaked. When I unzipped his jammies, I found his diaper rolled up in a ball, stuffed down one leg. And to top it all off, it was poopy. What a way to start the day!!

9 comments:

Amy said...

Oh the sweet thing, how sad! I hope he gets feeling better soon, what a trooper to not be fussy about it, good boy Aaron. Sorry to start the day off so crummy, hope it has gotten better.

k.young said...

Oh, poor baby and mommy!! That is awful. Sometimes I find Keelia's diaper rolled up too, but it has never been poopy. How awful.
Sorry that he has been having such a hard time. Hopefully he will get better soon!

Alison Ward said...

uggg, no fun! Maci had a similar reaction when she was about 1, but has since had penicillin and not had a reaction. She had those huge hives everywhere and they lasted for like 3 days! They said she could have been allergic to the infection itself? so you may not want to rule out penicillin all together, all though the only way to figure it out is to give it to him again, which could be not fun! Just thought I'd give my 2 cents :) Good luck with it, sick kids are no fun for either of you!

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

So funny about the diaper! Well, funny to me, since I didn't live it. :)

Just wait until potty training and he wears a pull-up at night that he knows how to take off and does at will and you think he's in there sleeping like an angel but really the moment the door is closed he's unzippin' those pjs and pullin' that pullup off. and peeing.

Leslie said...

I have to laugh about the diaper. Too bad about the hives. Thats horrible, poor baby. Tommy's allergic to penicillin too!

Belkycita said...

Poor little boy! Elena is allergic to Amoxicillin and it was so sad to see the reaction of the medicine on her little body.
As for the diaper. I am so sorry!

Angie said...

Bummer about being sick and to top it off be allergic. I hope he is starting to feel better.
and i so know about the diaper issue. happens here more than i would like to admit

Christy said...

Oh the poor little guy! Both of my boys had that same reaction to penicillin. Not fun at all. I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully he's feeling better now. Sounds like your trip to Chicago was great. We went there this spring and loved it.

kamikae said...

So sad! I'm glad they caught the allergy. I heard it can be worse the 2nd time around. Maybe you should get him one of those allergy bracelets. lol