Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Good-Bye for 4 Months

Oh, my hubby. How I love you so much. I will miss you dearly as you are away from us for so long. I will welcome you back with open arms when you return in January. Good-Bye!!

College football season officially began on Saturday, thus changing our lives completely for the next 4 months. No, Than is not leaving us to travel the country with the BYU Football team. He will be at home, in body, but in mind and spirit he will be consumed with the ol' Cougars. The funny thing is that I don't mind. Too much. It's mushy, but I love him so much so if watching game after game after game makes him happy, I'm happy.

The home I grew up in was void of sports. I was the geeky girl in PE who was deathly afraid of the ball. And I still am. I wouldn't get near a volleyball game even to save my life. But I have a sweet, patient man who explains all the rules to me over and over again so now I know some stuff. I know what a safety is, and a quarterback sneak, and a blitz. I know the penalties for holding and pass interference. I know that BYU is ranked number 15 on the AP College Football Poll. So I actually enjoy sitting down and watching the game with him. One game, mind you, not 2 or 3 or more in a day. It's fun to me that he can come home and talk to me about some player or how excited he is for next Saturday and we actually have a conversation. I have even found myself listing to Sports Talk Radio in the car on occasion. Oh, what have I become?!!!

But then there is Fantasy Football . . . that's a different story.

17 comments:

k.young said...

So cute!! Gotta love the Cougars, huh? And I love the new background. It is great!

Belkycita said...

Hahahaha! You are so funny.
Tell him to look for us on the Saturday game against UW. We'll be there all dressed in blue!

Traci said...

I cannot stand fantasy football!!! I am a bad wife, but still my husband plays with me complaining the whole time. UGH

Keith and Allie said...

Oh Veena! You are a widow of fantasy football too?! I make Keith rub my feet while he watches sports! :) You should try it!

Alison Ward said...

Chris is mourning the lack of BYU football here. We don't have any kind of cable, so we are football-less. I think he already found a guy in the ward that gets the Mountain channel though, and arrangements have been made to watch at his house, oh goodie! Glad you made it to the Ozarks, I'm glad to know someone else has been here :)

Jen said...

Go Cougs! We're loving that it's football season. We're definitely a two to three game home...and those are all at one time. We do a lot of channel flipping.

Jared said...

You should ask him about our conversation last Sunday as he home taught us. It was eerily similar to your post.

Angie said...

El loves football, but we don't watch it to much in our house..
I can honestly say that I am glad I married El, because if I would have liked any of his brothers I would be a widow like you..
And luckily I have no idea what fantasy football is..

condiefamily said...

This CRACKED ME UP! I know how you feel sister! As soon as November rolls around I kiss Curtis goodbye and say "I'll see you in March"! Thankfully he gets paid for his obsession! Jess Stanford actually had a mock funeral a few years ago for Curtis-we had a ham & funeral potato luncheon complete with a tribute to my lost husband! Different sport-same problem...

Kariann said...

You are such a good wife! I have such a hard time with football season! I need to be more like you! :)

Princess Gerty said...

YOU ARE SO FUNNY! I really thought Than was going away! Well, hang in there. Gratefully, my husband is not an obsessive watcher, but he is a football coach, so we plan on seeing a lot less of him this time of year!

I am glad you are so supportive!

Amy said...

Hilarious! I started reading and thought, "oh my where is Than going?" Pretty funny. Jake loves the cougs too, but I don't know if it's as much as Thans, probably not. Can't wait to see you Friday.

cHeRi" said...

OH MY!! I HAD TO TELL JAY ABOUT THIS POST! HE WAS LAUGHING SO HARD! I AM SO GLAD JAY ISN'T QUITE LIKE THAT AND NO FANTASY FOOTBALL HERE! JAY DOESN'T CARE FOR IT AND I AM SOOOOOOO GLAD!!! WE NEED TO GET OVER THERE AND WATCH A GAME OR SOMETHING! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU TOMAROW =)

Misty Anderson said...

Oh I am glad I am not the only person that has that problem. Rich bought U of U season tickets just so that he could go to the BYU Vs. U of U game this year! I even have to arrange my 1yr olds birthday party according to college football!

kellebelle said...

I love this post--too funny. I am not a football widow, but I relate all too well to the part about being inept when it comes to sports, and I have been patiently tutored many, many times in the ways of games by my sports-loving siblings. I am super impressed at your football knowledge. :)

Leslie said...

I feel exactly the same way! Once football season starts, good bye husband! You're good. I can't even sit still for one game!

Christy said...

Veena, you are too cute! I love tha you posted this. I too loose my husband to college football, he's a Ute fan. We should just all get together and have fun while they are ranting and raving over the games.